Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Great Day, BIG scare!












We got up early Sunday morning and headed to breakfast at Jack's and then the Zoo.  The weather was perfect!

Leland was so excited about going to the Zoo and this time he was really good about naming the animals by himself.  He was also much better at spotting the animals on his own. 

Apparently I am due a big scare once a year.  Around this time last year, I had to rush Leland to the ER because he was seizing.  Early Monday morning around 3:30, he woke up and started crying.  I had a feeling he may be having a nose bleed, as he has had them frequently over the past few weeks. 

I turned on the lamp and sure enough, he was bleeding, only this time he was gushing blood.  It took me a good 30 min to get it stopped and he screamed the whole time.  Disgusting as it sounds, it was going down his throat and he was literally freaking out, as was I because of the amount of blood.  Finally after getting his nose under control, he fell asleep on my chest (only way he could breath) about an hour later.  I tried to move him to the pillow beside me, but he woke up and the whole thing started again and again at 7:30.

I called his Doctor and he got us into an ENT before lunch.  After waiting in the waiting room, they took us back to a room.  Can I tell you that I was a little freaked out at this point.  There was nothing but a black chair and all kinds of scopes and instruments around.  I was border line wanting to walk out because I had no clue what was about to happen.

Thankfully, none of them were used on Leland.  He sat in my lap in the black chair while the Doctor looked at his nose, throat, and ears.  We were told that the vessels in the left side of his nose are bleeders.  For adults, this problem is a simple fix.  They would simply get the vessels cauterized in the office.  However, this is impossible for a 2 year old with tiny nostrils.  We are using Afrin nose spray (has something in it to constrict blood vessels to stop bleeding) for 3 days.  After that, just saline solution to keep the nose moist.  Nose bleeds are OK to have some times, but they are not OK when they are frequent or when you loose the amount of blood Leland is.  If the Afrin and saline do not work to suppress his bleeds, he will be going to the OR to have his vessels cauterized.  While there, he may be having his adenoids removed. 

Because he snores like a grown man and wakes frequently at night, the ENT wants us to watch him for a few more weeks, but if he continues to wake and snore, we will have to take a look at his adenoids to see if they are the cause for the problem.  It isn't a problem that he snores, BUT it is a problem that he is 2 and wakes multiple times at night.  More than likely this is caused by his breathing and that needs to be fixed.

The little guy must have been exhausted yesterday because he took a LONG nap after the doctor.  I thought that we may be in the clear of bleeds, but he had another bad one this afternoon.  His eyes are also supper puffy and red (almost looks like he was punched in both eyes).  I am assuming this may be from allergies, but if it persist, I will take him back in to be seen.

I was able to get him registered for Summer preschool (he will be in the 2 year old class) and 3 year old Kindergarten for the Fall.  He will be going 2 days a week in the Summer and 3 this Fall.  Because he is in Kindergarten this Fall, he will also do the car line each morning and afternoon.  This is where I just pull up and the teachers get them out and put them in the car.

I can't believe how fast time has went by.  I'm sure pregnancy had a lot to do with it, but I was an emotional wreck yesterday!  He will have a lot of fun at school and it is time for him to go make friends and learn, but I can't believe he is almost THREE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Jason and I were married on March 1, 2008. We are each others best friend and wouldn't trade our lives for anything! Jason was born and raised in Newnan, GA and I was born and raised in Birmingham, AL where we now live. We have an awesome family that is always there for us. We had a beautiful baby boy, Leland Matthew, on July 22, 2009. He is now growing like a weed and so much fun! We have a very hectic life, but we love it! We take everything that God gives us and deal with it the best we can. We know he has a plan for our family and can't wait to see what the future brings!!

Followers